Monday, January 14, 2013


I love a personal narrative – and while this is personal, it’s not about self.  It’s about putting yourself 2nd.  This book is a book of stories.  Personal stories.  Accounts of lives that have been changed by someone great than themselves.  It’s about what happens when you stop looking out for #1 and realize that there’s much more to life.  I remember when I first started seeing the commercials for the I am Second movement.  They were intriguing.  Then I began seeing the bracelets.  After reading the book, I now understand just what it’s all about.  I really liked reading accounts from people from different areas of life.  Some of them I recognized – Michael W. Smith, Jason Castro, while others were new to me.  I appreciated their willingness to share their stories.  I wonder how different the world would be if instead of speaking up about what’s wrong with the world, we instead told our stories.  That no matter how hard things are or how messed up the world gets, there is more.  I gained insight from the Scriptures and I liked that I could read a couple of pages account of a life changed or I could turn page after page and realize just how great and amazing our God is.  The best part is that the final chapter lead me to think about my story and about my life and where God belongs and where I belong – I am 2nd.  

No comments: