Sunday, July 31, 2011

Stumbling Into Grace by Lisa Harper

I am eagerly awaiting my trip to Women of Faith.  I am so excited that Lisa Harper will be one of the speakers for that weekend!  Lisa is a gifted speaker, but I recently found that she is an excellent author as well.  Her book "Stumbling Into Grace" was recently sent to me by Book Sneeze and Thomas Nelson Publishing. 
"Stumbling Into Grace" reads like a diary or journal, yet it's content is more of a devotional.  Lisa paints a beautiful picture of our walks with Christ.  Lisa mixes humor, Biblical encounters, and life application lessons throughout the three sections in this book.  The first section is "Real Life".  This section shares encounters with Jesus.  My personal favorite from this section is caled "The Very Real Problem With Pantyhose:  Jesus and Binding Things".  The second section is "Real Gifts".  This section leads us through encounters with Jesus and different gifts that he has given us.  The final section is called "Real Growth".  This section is about how Jesus helps us. 
I found this book to be excellent.  Lisa's insight provides the reader with teachable moments.  This book would be a great Bible study for a women's group.  At the end of each chapter is a section called "Living in the Light of His Story."  It is a prayer that is followed by a section called "Personal Reflection and/or Group Discussion Questions."  I liked how Lisa adds scripture references to the reflections.  At the end, is a starter for a journal entry.  This allow the reader to take the time to contemplate just what God is trying to teach them through this chapter. 
If you want to read a book, that as the introduction puts it "describe God's unconditional and miraculously accessible love for us through the life and ministry of Jesus Christ", please get a copy of "Stumbling Into Grace."  If you want to hear from Lisa Harper herself, I suggest you get yourself to a Women of Faith conference.  If you happen to go to the one in Indy, I'll be the girl standing in line at Lisa Haper's table.  I can't wait to thank her for this book. 

Thank you to Book Sneeze and Thomas Nelson books.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.


No comments: